April 5, 2011
Image credit: Nuno Duarte via Flickr
A woman’s wedding day is something she dreams about from the time she’s a little girl up through the big day. So how does she make her skin perfect for such a special day? These tips and tricks will leave a bride-to-be’s skin looking radiant and refreshing.
- Talk to your beauty consultant: I like to see my clients 4 months in advance so we can establish a good skin regimen and have time to reshape their eyebrows if necessary. The trick to having a perfect brow for your wedding is letting them grow out 3 months in advance. Yes, this can be brutal, but if you let someone clean them up every 3 weeks or so, it is manageable. By letting them grow out, you can have them shaped perfectly by your wedding – avoiding the horrid drawn on brow scenario.
- Get your skin in shape: You should keep your skin’s pH balanced by having a good beauty regimen and coming in for peels once a month before your wedding. This can help reduce fine lines and wrinkles and will allow your moisturizers to have a more dramatic effect on your skin. I suggest using my moisturizers along with coming in regularly for peels.
- It’s all about color: Be sure to speak with your consultant a few months early for trial make-up run. I like to meet with my brides so we can decide on the color and shades of her make-up. You should bring in pictures of your bridesmaid dresses and examples of the color scheme so you can match your make up with your wedding. You don’t want to end up with pink flowers and coral make-up. Also, it’s always best to have a trial run with your make-up before the big day so it can be tweaked to your liking.
- On the day: Always, always, always remember to wear waterproof mascara! You don’t want your make up washing away when you get emotional. And remember to get your lip color from your make-up artist so you can reapply throughout the wedding even when she is gone.
- Activities before and after the wedding: On a final note, always remember your bridesmaids when pampering yourself. Bring them along one day for peels and a trial make-up run for them before your wedding as a girl’s day out so everyone’s looking good for the wedding. Also, remember your Brazilian for the honeymoon! There’s no shame in surprising your new hubby.
How are you preparing your skin for the big day?
March 30, 2011
Credit to Benjamin Askinas & Kyle Beiermeister
Are you one of those who think that their face will never be as clear and radiant as celebrities? If your answer is yes you’re probably right. We all know it’s airbrush! However, there are ways to achieve the best looking skin possible. You just have to develop the right habits.
- Make sure you start with a good skincare regime as soon as possible. The younger you start, the better. If you’re a mother, teach your daughter how to wash her face twice a day and constantly stay hydrated.
- As girls get a bit older, from their teens to their 20’s, it’s important to start using a cleanser and getting facials every now and then, to hydrate the skin more deeply. Don’t let a day go by without moisturizing. I highly recommend using facial oils at night. They contain nutrients that are good for the skin like antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals.
- When comes your 30’s, you need to start getting peels and using professional advice for your skin. Peels are a wonderful way to keep your skin hydrated and prevent wrinkles. They can also help prevent sun damage and skin cancer. Our face is worn everyday for our entire life, and there’s no way of hiding it. It is totally worth spending the money.
- How often should you get a peel? For those in their 20’s, I recommend getting one at the end of every season. In your 30’s you should think about getting it more often, at least every other month.
Do you have any questions about peels or the right way to treat your skin? Please leave a comment!
March 14, 2011
What do days at the office, wild nights, and hot dates all have in common? They can be damaging to your skin. That’s right. The makeup you wear on a daily basis and the makeup you wear on a special occasion isn’t any different to your skin. It can clog pores, cause wrinkles, and even cause eye damage.
While it is important to wash your face before bed every night, it can be hard for the busy women of the world to remember, even when permanent damage to your skin is a threat. Here are some helpful reminders why you should always sleep with a clean face and tips on how to remember to do so.
Keep an eye on your eyes: At a recent visit to an eye doctor he informed me that even sleeping with a little bit of mascara on my eyes can cause severe damage. It can cause dry eyes and possible further damage. Also, wear sunglasses! The UV rays from the sun do more than cause damage to your eyesight; it can cause premature aging and wrinkles.
Tend to your skin: Many women sleep with their make up on thinking it’s not a big deal. Sleeping with foundation on can clog pores causing breakouts and wrinkles. Also, thick foundations are terrible for your skin. I suggest using a tinted moisturizer with SPF.
Reverse the damage done: It takes time for both your eyes and your face to repair themselves and a little TLC from you. You must consistently give yourself a good face wash. Have trouble remembering? Keep a good eye pad and face wipe on your night stand. Almay has a great eye pad that doesn’t sting the eyes and Olay carries a fabulously large face wipe that will get the day off of your face. But even making sure your face is clean before a good night’s sleep isn’t enough. Keep your skin moisturized, it will thank you. Do this by keeping an eye cream and face moisturizer by your bedside as well.
If you want to go that extra mile in skin care, come in and try a peel. Peels will help your skin stay healthy and wrinkle free and will even help your moisturizes do more for your skin. They should be done about every 4 to 5 weeks to keep your skin at its healthiest. What are you doing to keep your skin in tip top shape?
December 2, 2010
Image credit: hiltonsandestin via Flickr
The weather is changing and we all know the wind here in New England can easily dry our skin out. People think we break out because we have too much oil on our skin. Sometimes it’s because we don’t have enough. Our skin naturally secretes oils, and when our skin becomes dry, we break out from not hydrating enough.
We all should use oils and moisturize every day, especially those of us over thirty. I created a product to use called Smoothover. It helps eliminate wrinkles and makes skin look youthful! Also, I love Patricia Wexler’s 3-in-1 eye cream from Bath and Body Works, it helps to lift and firm skin while keeping It hydrated and soft.
A key ingredient to keep in mind when looking for a moisturizer is vitamin E oil. Also, if you have sensitive skin cetaphil is something you want to look for in a moisturizing product. Cetaphil is perfect for skin of all types, dry, oily, and combination. When buying a moisturizer, watch out for other ingredients like parabens, and make sure it is preservative free. My favorite product can be found at Whole Foods and is called Dr. Hauschka. Their line stresses the importance of preservative free products.
One thing many of us do when applying moisturizer is put it onto our hands, rub our hands together and then apply the moisturizer to our face. When we do this, though, the good moisture and ingredients are being applied to our hands instead of our face, which is where it should be. What you want to do instead is apply some to the back of your hand, pat it on your face like a mask and let the moisture soak in.
Other things to consider helping your moisturizer fulfill its potential are changes in daily habits. For example, caffeine dehydrates the skin and body, so cutting back on the coffee and increasing your water intake will help your skin look fresh and energized. What are you doing to help keep your skin looking youthful?
November 19, 2009
With a swipe of pink on your cheeks and lids, you can be fresh-faced and ready to go in five minutes!
Getting ready in the morning is tough for everyone. Your alarm goes off and all you are thinking is five more minutes mom! While the idea of looking beautiful is always nice, at 7:45 it is probably not your first priority. I have five quick steps that will allow you to savor your beauty sleep and start the day on an equally beautiful note.
Step 1: Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Moisturizer is always the key first step to any great look, especially in the winter when our skin can’t help but dry out.
Step 2: If you need some coverage use a tinted moisturizer. This adds to step number one and also keeps your skin from looking cracked and wrinkled. Avoid powder of all kinds in the winter; by the end of the day your skin will be completely parched.
Step 3: Take a round compact and dust a peachy shimmer on your eyelids. I love the color M.A.C. Petticoat Mineral Skin Finish, which is a Limited Edition and is hard to come by lately! (If you can’t find it at the M.A.C. store I sometimes luck out on eBay.
Step 4: Take that same round compact, same color and everything, and dust it quickly over the apples of your cheeks. This makes you look awake and gives you a great shine for the whole day.
Step 5: To top off this great quick look all you need is a few swipes of mascara and you are good to go for the entire day.
So, although mornings are tough, there is no excuse for not looking great if you follow these Five Steps for a Five Minute Face. Do you have any multitasking products that speed up your routine?
November 18, 2009
One of my models sporting a timeless look: youthful, hydrated skin.
As an esthetician I believe that appropriate skincare is one of the most important aspects of maintaining your beautiful look. That is why I have developed three of my very own, original products that do not have any preservatives or parabens. Here are some of the highlights of each of my three products:
- Dew-Maker: This product is your everyday moisturizer for the winter. It has various essential oils that work to hydrate and fix your skin while also keeping you from breaking out. These essential oils include: lemon and orange which brighten the skin and have an antibacterial agent, and carrot seed which fights wrinkles. This is easy to use, just shake well and apply!
- Smooth-Over: This anti-aging serum also has various essential oils that fight off wrinkles. Some of the top oils in this serum include: borage, evening primrose, and Vitamin E. This product with leave your skin not only hydrated but incredibly smooth and wrinkle-free.
- Eye-Candy: A roller-applicator, this product should be applied right around the eyes to keep skin fresh and smooth. This product uses geranium and carrot seed which work to fight wrinkles and lines around the eyes such as crow’s feet.
As you can tell skin hydration is vital to fighting off wrinkles and keeping your skin looking as fresh as possible and with these three products you can do just that. Feel free to let me know if you have questions about my products and/or their availability!